Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Cloth Diaper Woes

This whole post is kind of obsolete now, but I'm posting it anyway. Spoiler alert; my diapers smell like pee when they are peed on instead of like skunk. Hooray!

So, where I live has hard water. Long story short, my diapers have got the funk. And they're pink tinged in places. When they're dry they look and smell fine (besides poop stains). When they get peed on, they smell and turn pink!

So, cloth diaper experts, what do I do? I went looking for Calgon, but I only found RLR. So I washed my diapers like I normally do (which is probably the wrong way), then did an RLR strip. I did about 6 hot wash/cold rinses (my washer only does cold rinses) and on the last one added 5 drops of tea tree oil to kill anything that might have survived. Did I do good? What do I do if this didn't work?

My wash routine:
Cold pre-wash with All (Free and Clear) I use the smallest measuring line.
Hot/Cold wash with 1/2 cup of home made detergent using this Heavy Powdered Laundry Detergent  recipe
Hot/Cold wash with no soap but 1/4 c vinegar which I have read can actually cause funk in hard water areas so I'll knock that off in the future and stick to tea tree oil unless someone tells me not to.

*Update*
Yeah, I'm updating before this is even posted. My mom was at the wally world and found Calgon, so now I have that. Yay!

*Update number two*
Oooh, oooh! Charlie's Soap is being sold at Raley's! I got some of that, so my new wash routine will now be:

Cold pre-wash
Hot/Cold wash with 1Tbsp Charlie's Soap and half a capful of Calgon
Hot/Cold wash with 5 drops of tea tree

I'm so happy!

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home